Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Where is God* among the pots and pans, and the screaming children???

*=If you don't like the word God, think:  Peace, Your Higher Self, Love, Surrender, Meaning

Teresa of Avila said:  "God walks among the pots and pans."  I don't think Saint Teresa was a stay-at-home mom, but she definitely had her own challenges.  Saint Teresa was struggling with the religious culture of her time and the church structure.  I struggle with my role and duties as a mother, amongst other things.  Teresa expressed hope and faith in this pithy little saying.  It gives me hope that I can find God while my son is arguing with me about his math homework, my baby daughter is squirming violently during a diaper change, or my husband is questioning my style of loading the dishwasher yet again.  Whether you are a stay-at-home parent, a working parent, or not a parent at all, you surely have moments that try your patience. 

Centering activities like yoga, meditation, and prayer are great ways to connect to our still center.  Good therapy, an inspiring homily, or an eye-opening experience can help us find more meaning in our struggles and daily living.  However, how do we make that connection with our high power, with God, when we are right in the midst of a challenge?  Do we pray, take a sacred pause, run to the bathroom and count to 100?  What practical suggestions to you have?

It helps me to look at my children through fresh eyes.  If I see my wild boy as a tender child in need of love, attention and guidance, something shifts inside.  I guess I am now seeing him through God's eyes.  So perhaps I need some "God" glasses.  Hey, that's not a bad idea.  The shift from ego to higher self can be so hard to make in the midst of a child's tantrum or an argument with your spouse.  And how about those lesser challenges?  The boredom, restlessness or general dissatisfaction.  How do we find God in those more subtle situations?  Do we pray, see a  good movie, read an inspiring book, or just sit with these feelings?  Perhaps we just need to accept that a full life is a mixed bag!  Then go blog about it.  Ha!

If you read this post, thank you!  I hope you got something for yourself here.  I am writing this blog partly to help myself come to peace and greater understanding about these sorts of issues.  By putting it in the public sphere, I hope to hold myself to a higher standard and also share with others.  Finally, I hope you share your thoughts with me. 

Peace,
All

No comments:

Post a Comment